Vaginal dryness can be problematic for many postmenopausal women. As women age, their ovaries naturally produce less estrogen and progesterone, which are common female sex hormones important for menstruation, ovulation and pregnancy. These hormones are also responsible for keeping the vaginal walls properly lubricated. Declining estrogen levels during menopause cause these walls to thin and vaginal pH to increase. This is the main cause of vaginal dryness in women.
Causes of vaginal dryness in women
As just one of the many symptoms of hormonal imbalance, vaginal dryness can occur for several reasons. The main culprit is declining estrogen levels. Here are a few things that can lower estrogen levels:
- Menopause: A natural transition that occurs as women leave their childbearing years and begin producing less estrogen.
- Cancer treatment: Things like chemotherapy or removing a reproductive organ can cause premature menopause-like symptoms including fatigue and vaginal dryness.
- Diabetes: Women with diabetes have a higher risk of vaginal dryness. Uncontrolled high blood sugar can damage blood cells in the vagina, which leads to a lack of lubrication.
Risk factors that may increase your risk of vaginal dryness
Vaginal dryness is usually temporary for women in their child-bearing years and typically not a cause for concern. However, certain risk factors may increase your risk of chronic or premature vaginal dryness because they adversely affect hormone levels:
- Smoking cigarettes: Smoking reduces the effects of female sex hormones by reducing the production and metabolism of estrogens.
- Menopause: Menopause is a normal and natural decline of female sex hormones and typically occurs when a woman reaches her 40s or 50s.
- Surgical removal of the ovaries: This surgery will significantly lower your estrogen levels and trigger early menopause.
- Sjogren’s syndrome: An autoimmune disorder that causes dryness in the mouth, throat, eyes, mouth, skin and reproductive system.
How to treat vaginal dryness after menopause
There are ways to replenish vaginal moisture and get back to feeling like yourself. SynergenX wants you to know you don’t have to live with the discomfort, pain and embarrassment of vaginal dryness.
Treatment options for vaginal dryness in women:
- Vaginal moisturizers like K-Y Liquibeads, Replens, etc., can be applied every few days to moisturize and keep vaginal tissues healthy.
- Vaginal lubricants like Astroglide, Jo, Sliquid, etc., can be applied at the time of sexual activity to alleviate pain during intercourse.
- Low-dose estrogen cream can be used to reinvigorate vaginal tissues. These can also be used with systemic hormone therapy.
- Compounded bioidentical hormones are specially formulated hormones used to replace your deficient hormones. This is a hormone replacement therapy and is administered via creams and/or pellets.
At SynergenX, we’ll conduct a thorough evaluation that includes bloodwork and medical history to create a hormone replacement therapy and treatment plan that will work just for you. In addition to recommending specific lifestyle modifications, stress management techniques and nutritional supplements, we’ll also perform ongoing and continuous monitoring to optimize your hormone levels, helping you feel like yourself again.
Take the Test
CALL 888.219.7259 or Use our easy online form: