Hormone Replacement Therapy for Menopause: How It Works
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is a medical treatment used to help rebalance the body’s natural hormone levels. For women who are experiencing menopause, an estrogen with progesterone therapy is used to reduce menopausal symptoms like fatigue, hot flashes, vaginal discomfort and insomnia. Hormone therapy may also be used to help reduce a woman’s risk of osteoporosis (bone loss) and heart disease.
How is HRT administered?
There are two general ways to take HRT, they are:
- Systemic products
Hormone therapy is available as an oral tablet, patch, gel, emulsion, spray or injection. These products affect cells all over the body, as opposed to one part.
- Local (nonsystemic) products
Local products affect only a localized area of the body and are most commonly used to treat vaginal symptoms associated with menopause. They are available as a cream, ring or tablet.
What are the benefits of hormone therapy?
The benefits of hormone replacement therapy for post-menopausal women include:
- Increased elasticity of the blood vessels, which allows them to widen so blood can flow more freely throughout the body
- Short-term relief of menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, mood swings, vaginal dryness, dry skin, insomnia and irritable bladder symptoms
- Decreased risk of osteoporosis, a bone disease that occurs when the body looses too much bone, makes too little bone, or both
- Decreased incidence of colon cancer, which occurs in either the colon or rectum
Is HRT right for you?
While HRT is an effective treatment for menopausal symptoms, it is not recommended for everyone. If you have any of the conditions listed below, talk to the skilled specialists at SynergenX to find out about safe, effective, alternative treatments for menopausal symptoms:
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Heavy periods
- A family history of breast, uterine or endometrial cancer
- Current or previously occurring venous thrombosis (including during pregnancy)
- Chronic liver disease
- Gallbladder disease
To find out if hormone treatment therapy to treat menopause is right for you, contact the healthcare professionals at SynergenX Health at 888-219-7259. We are committed to you and helping you feel your best through safe, effective hormone replacement therapies and related services.
Take the Test
CALL 888.219.7259 or Use our easy online form: