More than 20 percent of the United States adult population is considered obese, which presents a major public health concern. Losing weight and keeping it off can be a daunting task. It is often hard to imagine making drastic lifestyle changes, such as starting a new diet, or being able to manage the weight that you lost. It’s time to get serious, though, because increased weight has a direct relationship with increased health concerns.
If you're currently at a healthy weight, you're already one step ahead of the game. To stay at a healthy weight, it's worth doing a little planning now. Or maybe you are overweight but aren't quite ready to lose weight yet. If this is the case, preventing further weight gain is a worthy goal. As people age, their body composition gradually shifts, meaning the proportion of muscle decreases and the proportion of fat increases. This shift slows their metabolism, making it easier to gain weight. In addition, some people become less physically active as they get older, increasing the risk for weight gain.
The good news is that weight gain can be prevented by choosing a lifestyle that includes good eating habits and daily physical activity. By avoiding weight gain, you avoid higher risks of many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, and some forms of cancer.
Tips to Prevent Weight Gain:
1. Drink a lot of water, especially before meals. Drinking plenty of water is good for staying hydrated, but it also curbs your appetite a bit.
2. Avoid consuming too much alcohol. Alcohol often has a lot of sugar, and those dreaded carbohydrates.
3. Manage what you eat by tracking weight and calorie intake. It doesn’t hurt to keep track of what’s going into your body, especially if you know what and how much is good or bad for you.
4. Eat a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, and grains. Balance is key to a healthy diet.
5. Cut back on added sugar. Try to go with fruit juices rather than soda, or just cream in your coffee rather than the regular cream and sugar.
6. Eat complex carbohydrates (I.e. Brown rice)
7. Eat small portion sizes
8. Establish regular meal times
If you would like to learn more about preventing weight gain and maintaining a healthy weight, call SynergenX Health at (281) 362-5580 to request an appointment.